Candidates for the M.A. program in science education at the University of Maryland are K-12 or college-level teachers, other education professions, and/or people with a science background interested in careers in research and education-related careers outside K-12 schools. We usually recommend a M.Ed. instead of an M.A. program for candidates seeking to further their careers within K-12 schools. The Master of Arts is a 30-semester hour program that requires coursework in education, coursework in a science discipline, and a small independent research project. 

For information on graduate admission please visit:   

Applicants who wish to apply to the Master of Arts (MA) with specialization in Science Education – Non-Thesis options should select Curriculum and Instruction (EDCI) as their “Intended Program of Study.” 

Please refer to the Guide to Applying  for instructions on how to apply for graduate admission. If you have questions or concerns, we ask you to first review our list of  Frequently Asked Questions

For questions about the application process, or to check on the completion of your application please contact: 

Joy Jones, Coordinator of Graduate Studies email: or phone: (301) 405-3118.

For academic advising on the MA program in Science Education, please contact Dr. Dan Levin at or call 301-405-3324. 

Academic advisement for graduate students is provided by the graduate faculty in the Department of Teaching and Learning, Policy and Leadership (TLPL).  For advising information, please contact the Coordinator of Graduate Studies, Joy Jones at or (301) 405-3324.

Financial assistance for graduate study is generally divided into two categories: 

  • Merit-Based Assistance and Need-Based Assistance  
    • Fellowships and Scholarships Loans  
    • Graduate Assistantships 

For more details about the various types of financial assistance offered by the campus please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid 

There are also a number of fellowships and scholarships offered through the College of Education, the University, and through external sources which may provide tuition support and/or living allowance. Students must apply for these awards on their own, but the links that follow provide valuable information on searching for fellowships and scholarships. 

For more information concerning fellowships and scholarships, please visit: 

The College of Education's Scholarship webpage 

The University's Scholarships webpage, and  

The Graduate Fellowship Office webpage


Minimum of 30 Credit Hours of Master’s Study (non-thesis only) 

Credit Hours 


TLPL 788 X: Special Topics in Education: Foundations of Education Research

Specialization Credits 



TLPL 620: Trends in School Curriculum: Science 

TLPL 720: Foundations of Science Education 

400-level or higher science or mathematics course 

One of the following: 

  • Another 400-level or higher science or math course 

  • TLPL 710: Theory and Research on Mathematical and Scientific Thinking and Learning (with instructor approval only) 

  • TLPL 713: Mathematics and Science Education Policy, Professional Development, and Teacher Preparation (with instructor approval only) 

  • TLPL 600: Learning with Technology 



TLPL 691: Research Methods or equivalent course as negotiated with advisor 


TLPL 798: Special Problems in Education  (Independent study with advisor, or alternative with advisor approval)


3 courses from the following:  

  • 600- and 700-level courses in the College of Education, on topics such as Assessment, Equity, Technology, Leadership (1-3 courses). May include courses listed under Specialization Credit. 

  • Relevant courses in Departments outside the College of Education, such as Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Philosophy, iSchool, and so on, with advisor approval (0-2 courses).  


Minimum Credits 



Applicants are encouraged to contact the Hobsons online application’s helpdesk for any technical issues. For questions related to the admissions process, prospective students may contact the TLPL Admissions Coordinator Ms. Joy Jones at (301) 405-3118 or  For particular program questions, contact Dr. Daniel Levin at


Deadlines vary by degree and program. Please visit Admissions Deadlines for more information.


Graduate students in the College of Education are responsible for meeting University and the Graduate School policy, and for meeting Program requirements. The Graduate Catalog is the official listing of Policies governing graduate education at the University of Maryland.  The schedule adjustment policy is available from the Office of the Registrar and provides information on adding and dropping courses, penalties, and refund schedules. 


The Graduate Student Life Handbook provides information on academics, campus resources, finances, health, job opportunities, and information on how to get involved as a graduate student.   


Graduate students are required to submit various forms at specific points in the program and as part of the degree clearance process.  Please refer to Steps Toward Graduation to determine the steps and forms that are required.  To access forms used by graduate students visit Graduate Studies Forms in Student Services.