Contributions from the College of Education Alumni and Friends have made it possible to award a number of $1,000 scholarships to deserving undergraduate and graduate students for each academic year. These awards are based on the following criteria:
- Academic performance
- Financial need
- Leadership and contributions to the field of education or
commitment to potential leadership in the field of education
- Encouragement of a diverse and multicultural community
Scholarship applications may be completed via our online application using the link provided below. Please make sure that the teacher/counselor/faculty member submits their letter of recommendation as well. Your scholarship application will not be reviewed unless a completed teacher/counselor/faculty recommendation has been received.
College of Education Scholarship Application
Please submit your scholarship application through this application link. You may submit one pdf document (your CV/resume) through this online application.
Teacher/Counselor/Faculty Recommendation Submission
Please have your teacher/counselor/faculty member email their letters of recommendation to EDUC-Scholarships@umd.edu. The letter should be in PDF format, and the applicant's name (your name) should appear in the subject line. This is a a required component of the scholarship application.
College of Education Scholarship Application Deadline for Academic Year 2021-2022 is 11:59pm EST on September 1, 2021.
There are many scholarship opportunities available to education majors.
The National Scholarships Office website
The Office of Undergraduate Studies, National Scholarships Office is committed to helping students of the University of Maryland identify, apply for, and win national scholarships and fellowships in their pursuit of higher education. This website is designed to assist students with identifying opportunities that match their need, research for a specific field of study, offer information about eligibility and deadlines, and provide information to help create a winning application. Check it out!
National SMART Grant Program
The National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant program established by the federal government. These grants are ideal for Secondary Science, Math, and Foreign Language Education majors.
University of Maryland Financial Aid Office
The Office of Student Financial Aid (located in the Lee Building) has information about merit-based and need-based scholarships, loans, and other financial aid options. Please contact that office for more information about your specific needs and opportunities.
U.S. Department of Education
The federal government provides many different types of financial aid, including grants, loans, and other programs, especially for those considering teaching as a profession.
Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant Program
This grant program by the state of Maryland encompasses several scholarship programs, including the former Sharon Christa McAuliffe Memorial Teacher Education Scholarship.
Deans Graduate Travel Grant - Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- 2018-19 funds are available November 5, 2018 until expended or November 4, 2019
Graduate School's List of Departmental Deadlines for Spring 2019
Graduate School Fellowship Information
Graduate School Student Fellowships and Awards
Graduate Assistantship Information
Graduate School's Listing of External Awards
EXTERNAL AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
APA Minority Fellowship Program for Transition Age Youth (STAY) Program
AERA, American Educational Research Association Dissertation Grant
AERA, American Educational Research Association Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Educational Research
Bryce Harlow Fellowship
Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship
Cosmos Club Foundation Scholars Program
DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
Doris Duke Fellowship for the Promotion of Child Well-Being
Education Pioneers Fellowship Summer Track
Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs
Frederick Douglass Teaching Scholars Fellowship
Jefferson Science Fellowship Program
Kress Foundation - History of Art: Institutional Fellowship
NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship Program
National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME), Awards Overview
- Excellence in Public Communications (New in 2019)
- Alicia Cascallar Award
- Annual Award for Exceptional Achievement in Educational Measurement
- Bradley Hanson Award for Contributions to Educational Measurement
- Brenda H. Loyd Outstanding Dissertation Award
- NCME Career Contributions Award
- Jason Millman Promising Measurement Scholar Award
Major Contributors to the College of Education Scholarship Funds
- Alumni Board Scholarship
- Charles Beatty Scholarship Fund
- Ellen Brandt Scholarship Fund
- Donald Maley Scholarship Fund
- Morris Frankel Memorial Fund
- Lillian Ernest Wilson Memorial Fund
- Naomi P. Hentz Memorial Fund
- Willamy Simonds King Memorial Fund
- Walter Waetjen Graduate Fund
- Donald J. Robinson, Jr. Memorial Fund
- George R. Merrill, Jr. Memorial Fund
- Philip and Ora Ordwein Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Constance Herreshoff Gordon Scholarship Fund
- The Andrea Goff Scholarship
- The Carolyn H. and Howard F. Ahrens Education Scholarship
- The Vincent and Mary Straface Family Scholarship in Education
- The Miriam Farwell Grant Scholarship
- Friends of the College