Mathletics is a daily, 3-week summer camp for summer camp for middle school girls and boys (current 6th, 7th, & 8th graders) hosted at the University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) under the Maryland Institute for Minority Achievement and Urban Education (MIMAUE), a division of the College of Education at UMCP. Students are engaged in daily athletic activities that engage students in the application of mathematics to professional athletics. Activities are led by faculty from UMCP, local county teachers and undergraduate students majoring in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) field. Students not only learn practical skills, such as how to collect data and perform statistical analysis of the data, but also engage in a end-of-camp, personal statistics project in a field of interest to them. Hosted on the campus of UMCP, students have a chance to meet athletic coaches, enjoy recreational activities offered at the Stamp Student Union and Xfinity Center, and interact with students on campus as they practice collecting data with fellow Mathletes.
Mathletics has been supported by the Mathematics Association of America and the National Security Agency through their outreach and grant programs.
Time of Camp: 9:00am-4pm, Monday-Friday
Important Dates: Camp runs July 2 - July 20
- Mini sports combine for students where students engage in various sporting events, followed by performing statistical measurements on their times and measurements compared to other Mathletes
- Field trip to Washington Mystics basketball game where students collect statistical measurements of professional basketball players, followed by comparison of their measurements to those taken by the professional statisticians of the teams playing
- Recreation time at the TerpZone in the Stamp Student Union on campus at UMCP (including playing ping pong, bowling, and arcade games)
- Golfing lessons at the University of Maryland Golf Course directly adjacent to campus
- Trip to UMCP basketball arena Xfinity Center
- Interactions and presentations from UMCP athletic coaches and faculty on the importance and use of mathematics in athletics and coaching
- Gather and analyze survey data from UMCP students at the Stamp Student Union
Below are some of the past comments made by students who attended Mathletics:
- “This is the best camp I’ve ever been to in my life.”
- “We learned about math, statistics, and charts.”
- “I learned there are different ways to collect data and analyze it.”
- “There are different steps to collect data: gather, analyze, explain, shapes of distribution.”
- There are two different types of data: quantitative and qualitative”
- “Saw first hand how we can use statistics.”
- “Taught in a fun way.”
- “The distributions were new to me, and I learned what type of graph is for [different] types of data.”
To apply for Mathletics 2018 camp, please click this link: https://mimauesummercamps.org/
Mathletics is open to students currently in grades 6, 7, or 8
Camp runs 9 am - 4 pm July 2 - July 20
Cost: $525 ($225 for students eligible for FARM)
For more information call 301-405-2591 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mathletics is looking for two Summer Mathletics Assistant instructors (“assistant coach”). The successful candidate is a highly motivated, energized, and knowledgeable undergraduate STEM major.
The assistant coach will assist certified teachers as they teach mathematics to approximately 40 high-performing middle school girls and boys in Mathletics. Each undergraduate will assist one teacher and work with 20 students. This position requires that the undergraduate student is adept at engaging students through individual and group activities that are academically relevant for students.
The 2018 program will be offered July 2-July 20 and starts daily at 8:30am and ends at 4:30pm. Assistant instructor must be available for three training day sessions in mid-June and for program debrief during the last week in July 2018. Camp will not meet on Wednesday, July 4th.
For more information and to apply, please see the job posting.