The English Area of Concentration program is designed for students seeking certification to teach English (English Language Arts) in grades 7-12. The curriculum includes a range of courses that provide students with the content that they need to teach English (English Language Arts) – World, British, American, and Minority literature; communication, rhetoric, and language and linguistics. Completion of the English and professional education courses with field experiences in diverse school settings results in the awarding of a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree with a double major in English and English Education. The program also meets the teaching certification or licensure requirements for the State of Maryland and most other states.
For information on undergraduate admission to the University, please click here.
Once admitted to the University, students in the College of Education must meet the Selective Admissions requirements in order to proceed into the Professional portion of the English Education program. The Selective Admissions requirements for the English Education program are as follows:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 credits
- Cumulative UM GPA of 2.75 or higher; 3.0 GPA is recommended for best consideration
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental English requirement with a “C-” or better
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental Math requirement with a “C-” or better
- Minimum passing scores on a Basic Skills Tests (see advisor for details)
- Satisfactory completion of EDCI 416 with a “B-” or better
- Satisfactory completion of the upper level content area courses. Consult Advisor for content area GPA requirement.
- A resume that shows prior experience in the education field with youth in the age range you intend to teach
- A written goal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (one must be from a faculty member or instructor)
- Satisfactory rating on the College of Education Foundational Competencies
STEP ONE: Apply for undergraduate admission to the University.
Once admitted to the University, proceed to Step Two.
STEP TWO: Please submit your application to the Professional Teacher Education Program online.