Mckeldin Mall

Higher Education, Student Affairs, & International Education Policy--Higher Education Concentration, Master of Arts (M.A.)

A minimum of 36 credit hours in Higher Education beyond the bachelor’s degree is required.  Coursework includes higher education core courses and electives, as well as research methods courses.  Students are also required to participate in an internship and complete a seminar paper.  Average completion is two years if enrolled full-time. Students work with an advisor to develop an individualized program of study. Students may choose whether to complete a thesis or undertake field experience and complete a seminar paper. 

Please click here for more information. 

For more information visit the graduate admission requirements webpage. Select an area of interest from the various offerings in the College of Education to determine the admission requirements and deadlines.  If you are unsure of your area of interest you may request information by submitting an Inquiry Form

Please be advised that higher education, student affairs, and international education policy are all separate concentrations that require separate applications.

More Information on Application Process and Instructions


Please refer to the Guide to Applying for instructions on how to apply for graduate admission. If you have questions or concerns, we ask you to first review our list of Frequently Asked Questions.  International applicants should visit the International admissions webpage for additional information.  For questions about the application process, or to check on the completion of your application please contact:

Judy Foster, Coordinator of Graduate Admissions
Office of Student Services, College of Education
(301) 405-2359                  

After you apply for graduate admission you may check your application status by logging into the online graduate application using your user name and password.  Graduate faculty in the Academic Department you applied to will review your completed application for graduate admission.  Questions regarding application reviews and decision recommendations should be directed to Department of Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education (CHSE).  Please contact:

Carol Scott, Coordinator of Graduate Studies
Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education
(301) 405-8384

Higher Education Flyer

The Higher Education concentration of the Higher Education, Student Affairs, and International Education Policy Program invites you to attend a virtual information session on Zoom hosted by current students and faculty. 

Higher Education Information Sessions for Fall 2023 application cycle

Tuesday, October 10h, 7:00-8:00 PM EST Zoom 

Monday, November 6th, 7:00-8:00 PM EST Zoom

The program is accepting applications for the Ph.D and M.A cohorts entering Fall 2024. 

Please RSVP at Once your RSVP is received, you will be sent Zoom information. Please reach out to Kahlea Khabir (Admissions Coordinator) with any questions.

Please contact the Office of Student Services,, or (301) 405-2364.

Academic advisement for graduate students is provided by the graduate faculty in the Department of Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education (CHSE).   For advising information, please contact the Coordinator of Graduate Studies, Carol Scott at (301) 405-8384 or

Visit the College of Education Scholarship opportunities webpage. 

Visit the Graduate School Fellowship and Graduate Assistantship web page for additional funding opportunities 

For information about other student financial aid, review the Office of the Student Financial Aid website.

Required Core Courses - 12 credits

EDHI 650 Professional Seminar in Higher and Adult Education

EDHI 652 Higher Education and Society

EDHI 666 The Academic Profession

EDHI 754 Higher Education Finance

Research Methods Courses - 9 credits

Requirements include EDHI 672, one quantitative and one qualitative methods course approved by advisor

EDHI 672 Modes of Inquiry in Education Research (3 credits)

Quantitative research methods course - 3 credits

Qualitative research methods course - 3 credits

Higher Education Electives - 9 credits

Internship in Higher Education (Register for EDHI 489 with your advisor) - 3

Seminar Paper (Register for EDHI 679 with your adviser while working on your seminar paper) - 3 credits

Total Credits – 36

Please view our Higher Education Concentration 2022 Handbook for more details on curriculum requirements. 



Dr. Marvin Titus, Concentration Coordinator (

Dr. Sharon Fries-Britt, Admissions Coordinator  (

Ashley Ogwo, Graduate Assistant (

Kahlea Khabir, Staff Admissions Coordinator (

Carol Scott, Coordinator (

Please visit the Higher Education requirements and deadline webpage.

Academic deadlines are provided by the Office of the Registrar for the academic year. Students should refer to the deadlines listed in Important Dates  prior to the beginning of the degree completion semester.  

Students should check with their Department or Program for any deadlines it may have.  Please contact:

Carol Scott, Coordinator of Graduate Studies
Counseling, Higher Education, and Special Education
(301) 405-8384



Visit the Department of Counseling, High Education and Special Education program handbooks and forms page.

The Graduate Student Life Handbook provides information on academics, campus resources, finances, health, job opportunities, and information on how to get involved as a graduate student. 


Graduate students in the College of Education are responsible for meeting University and the Graduate School policy, and for meeting Program requirements.   The Graduate Catalog  is the official listing of Policies governing graduate education at the University of Maryland.  The schedule adjustment policy is available from the Office of the Registrar and provides information on adding and dropping courses, penalties, and refund schedules.


Graduate students are required to submit various forms at specific points in the program and as part of the degree clearance process.  Please refer to Steps Toward Graduation to determine the steps and forms that are required.   The forms for use use by graduate students are available here.