The Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Development (HD) is designed to support student learning about the mechanisms of growth and change across the lifespan. With areas of focus in developmental science, educational psychology and statistical methodology, HD majors will explore the biological, social, emotional, and cognitive processes of learning and development from conception to old age in diverse social and cultural contexts.
The College of Education will be hosting Major Exploration Workshops (MEW) for the Human Development Major that students must attend prior to meeting with an Academic Advisor. We have MEWs scheduled for this Fall.
- Friday, October 6th - 2 to 2:30pm
- Tuesday, October 10th - 3 to 3:30pm
- Wednesday, October 18th - 2 to 2:30pm
- Friday, October 27th - 2 to 2:30pm
- Wednesday, November 1st - 12 to 12:30pm
- Wednesday, November 8th - 2 to 2:30pm
- Monday, November 13th - 1:30 to 2:00pm
- Tuesday, November 21st - 1 to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, November 28th - 2:30 to 3:00pm
- Monday, December 4th - 2 to 2:30pm
Please contact the Office of Student Services, email@example.com, or 301-405-2364.
The College of Education will be hosting Major Exploration Workshops (MEW) for the Human Development Major that students must attend prior to meeting with an Academic Advisor. We have MEWs scheduled for this Spring.
Thursday, February 16 at 2:00 pm
Wednesday, February 22 at 2:00 pm
Tuesday, March 7 at 11:30 am
Thursday, March 30 at 2:00 pm
Thursday, April 20 at 1:00 pm
Wednesday, April 26 at 2:00 pm
Friday, May 5 at 12:30 pm
Academic Advising is an essential part of your academic experience at UMD.
Our mission is to help you understand the academic requirements and curricular offerings in the College of Education (COE). Our advisors:
- Assist you with realistically reviewing and planning your academic progress and discussing its relationship to successful degree completion.
- Inform you about different campus resources and services that will help you to make the most of your experience while at the University of Maryland.
- Administer mandatory advising meetings each semester (which are required for all current COE majors).
For more information visit the COE Undergraduate Advising website.
Human Development Majors should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Human Development major requires 43 credits consisting of the following:
- 3 Gateway Courses (9 credits)
- 2 Statistics Requirements (6 credits)
- Proseminar and Internship/Field Experience (7 credits – see document for details)
- 3 HD Core Courses (9 credits)
- 4 HD Electives (12 credits)
Flexible options are available to meet the major requirements and HD majors are subject to the following graduation requirements:
- A minimum of 120 credits total, including a minimum of 30 credits earned at UMD
- 15 of the final 30 credits must be earned at the 300-400 level
- 12 upper level major credits must be earned at UMD
- A minimum of 2.00 cumulative UMD GPA and satisfactory completion of all degree requirements