The Secondary World Languages Area of Concentration is an innovative, vibrant and growing unit at the University of Maryland. Housed in the Department of Teaching and Learning, Policy and Leadership (TLPL) in the College of Education, this program offers degrees and teacher certification in World Languages Education. It is a double major in language and education. This program powerfully combines theory, research, and practice throughout its coursework and teaching internships.
A unique feature of the program is the variety of ways in which Second Language Education components are combined in preparing students to adapt methods, materials, and curricula to a variety of culturally and linguistically diverse settings in the United States and abroad. The program has state and national accreditation.
For information on undergraduate admission to the University, click here.
Once admitted to the University, students in the College of Education must meet the Selective Admissions requirements in order to proceed into the Professional portion of the World Language Education program. The Selective Admissions requirements for the World Language Education program are as follows:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 credits
- Cumulative UM GPA of 2.75 or higher; 3.0 GPA is recommended for best consideration
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental English requirement with a “C-” or better
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental Math requirement with a “C-” or better
- Minimum passing scores on a Basic Skills Tests (see advisor for details)
- Satisfactory completion of TLPL 445 with a “B-” or better
- Satisfactory completion of the upper level content area courses. Consult Advisor for content area GPA requirement.
- A resume that shows prior experience in the education field with youth in the age range you intend to teach
- A written goal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (one must be from a faculty member or instructor)
- Satisfactory rating on the College of Education Foundational Competencies
- Secondary World Language Education / Chinese Double Major
- Secondary World Language Education / French Double Major
- Secondary World Language Education / German Double Major
- Secondary World Language Education / Italian Double Major
- Secondary World Language Education / Latin Double Major
- Secondary World Language Education / Russian Double Major
- Secondary World Language Education / Spanish Double Major