Earn an MEd in Teacher Leadership: Special Studies in STEM Education
University of Maryland College Park MEd in Teacher Leadership: Special Studies in STEM Education with an add-on certification endorsement from the state of Maryland as a STEM Instructional Leader
The MEd in Teacher Leadership: Special Studies in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education is a rigorous, content-focused program that allows in-service elementary and middle school teachers to explore relationships among science, engineering, and mathematics through a transdisciplinary approach to integrated STEM. Teachers in the program use cutting edge technology and innovative tools to build a Professional Learning Network as they develop philosophies regarding issues of authenticity, equity, and achievement in STEM.
We will be hosting a virtual information session for the M.Ed. Program on Tuesday, April 5th at 4:30pm.
Join us to learn more about the Master’s of Education: Teacher Leadership, Specialization in STEM Program from the University of Maryland, College Park. We'll learn about program structure, classes, application processes, scholarship opportunities, and more!
This is a Zoom meeting.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. If you have any questions please reach out to Amy Green (email@example.com).
The creation of the program was made possible through a grant from the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE). Over the course of two years, a group of UMD faculty fellows from the departments of Engineering, Mathematics, Cell Biology & Molecular Genetics, Entomology, and Physics, along with the College of Education, the College of Information Studies, and the Center for Teaching Excellence, came together to develop course experiences for in-service elementary and middle school teachers. Each course in the program has been designed to reflect the MSDE STEM Standards of Practice, as well as the core ideas and practices of the Next Generation Science Standards and the Common Core State Curriculum.
Courses will be a hybrid of synchronous in-person and online sessions. The emphasis for at least the 2021-2022 academic years will be on online instruction. Any in-person sessions will be held at The Universities at Shady Grove. However, decisions about in-person sessions will be made with the consideration of the health and safety of students, teachers, and faculty.
This convenient master’s program enables teachers to earn a degree while maintaining teaching commitments, and leads to a state add-on endorsement in “Instructional Leader: STEM (PreK-6)”.
Program schedule: Classes meet once a week at the Universities of Shady Grove campus during the school year and every day for three weeks in early summer.
Application Deadlines: For priority consideration, apply by May 20th. However, applications are rolling until the cohort is filled.
$1000 in scholarship credit is available for all teachers who enroll for fall 2022.
For more Information, including testimonials from current and former students:
APPLICATION STEPS AND DETAILS
To begin the admission application process for the Science Technology /Engineering Mathematics (STEM) Montgomery County (MCSTE) program, please follow the instructions below. Applications are rolling until the cohort is filled.
STEM Graduate Application Process
Click on the University of Maryland Graduate Online Application link: gradapply.umd.edu. Click on “Create Account” tab, complete the form, create a user name and password and submit.
- Click on ”Access Your Online Application” page and complete the following sections:
- Demographics and Contact Information
- Educational Intent Section: (Enter the following information)
- Applicant Type: Degree
- Level of Study: Masters
- Intended Program of Study: Curriculum and Instruction
- Term of Entrance: Fall 2021
- College/School: College of Education (will be prepopulated)
- Area of Interest 1: Science/Technology/Engineering/Mathematics (Montgomery County/Off-Campus)(MCSTE)
- Area of Interest 2: Not Applicable/Off-Campus
- Previous Education Section: Enter names of the institutions of higher education at which you have received 9 credits or more and upload unofficial transcripts with degree conferred, if applicable (required) (see notes below)
- Personal Information and Maryland Residency Information
- Program Upload Requirement Section: upload your Personal statement and resume
- Recommendations: Enter the 3 recommender names and email addresses (required)
- Pay $75 non-refundable application fee
Please make sure you upload all of the required documentation.
Note regarding Transcripts: Scanned copy of transcripts must be uploaded into your application file with degree conferred. Official transcripts are required by the Graduate School by the end of the first term of enrollment if accepted into the program and the University. Applicants must have official, sealed undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended (with 9 credits or more) sent to the Graduate School at:
University of Maryland College Park
Enrollment Services Operation –
Attn: Graduate Admissions
Room 0130 Mitchell Building
College Park, MD 20742
Electronic Transcripts: firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Heather Kissinger
Information for International Applicants
All applicants who have earned their Baccalaureate (4-year degree) from an international institution must ALSO meet ISSS admission requirements. It is recommended that applicants plan for additional time needed for IES processing. Visit the Graduate School International admission pages:
- An official copy of original degree conferred transcripts in original language with a literal English translation and a copy of the final diploma.
- All English translations should be completed by an ISSS approved service (for transcript and diploma/certificate) are required. http://globalmaryland.umd.edu/offices/international-students-scholar-services/translation-services
- TOEFL or IELTS or Pearson’s (PTE) is required if you have international credentials whose native language is not English and who does not hold a degree from an institution in the US. United Kingdom, Anglophone Africa, Anglophone Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and the Commonwealth Caribbean.
- Applicants on a Visa must submit a copy of Visa documentation
The International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) at the University of Maryland assists international students in the process of applying to the university, and once admitted. ISSS may contact applicants by email, please ensure email addresses listed on the application is accurate.
Students are responsible for payment of tuition to UM at the standard UM rates in effect during the semester in which classes are taken. The outreach off-campus tuition is about the rate of the in-state campus' tuition. Students are responsible for payment of fees instituted by The Universities at Shady Grove and the home campus technology fee. University of Maryland Tuition and Fees.
$1,000 in scholarship credit is available for all teachers who enroll for fall 2022.
AFCEA STEM TEACHER SCHOLARSHIP
(next deadline May 31, 2021)