Curriculum and Instruction, Master of Education (M.Ed.) - TESOL Specialization : Program Admissions

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), with teacher certification option is an area of specialization recommended for students who wish to develop expertise in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). The Masters degree prepares students to engage with research, theory and pedagogical practice in the field of TESOL. This degree leads to initial PK-12 certification to teach in public schools in the United States. All M.Ed. students must complete 39 credit hours total, including a year-long teaching internship.

For information about applying to the M.Ed. with teacher certification program with a specialization in TESOL, please visit:

Applicants who wish to apply the M.Ed. program with specialization in TESOL should select Curriculum and Instruction (EDCI) as their “Intended program of study.”

Please refer to the Guide to Applying for instructions on how to apply for graduate admission. If you have questions or concerns, we ask you to first review our list of  Frequently Asked Questions.  International applicants, please visit the International admissions webpage for additional information.

For questions about the application process, or to check on the completion of your application, please contact Kay Moon, TLPL Graduate Coordinator, at (301) 405-3118 or

For questions related to the admissions process, prospective students may contact  Kay Moon, TLPL Graduate Coordinator, at (301) 405-3118 or

For questions regarding the M.Ed. with PK-12 certification in TESOL, prospective students may contact Dr. Loren Jones by email:  or phone: 301-405-4157.

Financial assistance for graduate study is generally divided into two categories: 

  • Merit-Based Assistance and Need-Based Assistance  
    • Fellowships and Scholarships Loans  
    • Graduate Assistantships 

For more details about the various types of financial assistance offered by the campus please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid 

There are also a number of fellowships and scholarships offered through the College of Education, the University, and through external sources which may provide tuition support and/or living allowance. Students must apply for these awards on their own, but the links that follow provide valuable information on searching for fellowships and scholarships. 

For more information concerning fellowships and scholarships, please visit:

The College of Education Financial Aid & Scholarship webpage

The University's Scholarships webpage, and 

The Graduate School Student Fellowships & Awards webpage

Applicants are encouraged to contact the Hobson’s online application’s helpdesk for any technical issues.  

For questions related to the admissions process, prospective students may contact  Kay Moon, TLPL Graduate Coordinator, at (301) 405-3118 or

For program-specific questions, prospective students may contact Dr. Loren Jones by email:  or phone: 301-405-4157.