The Middle School Education, Mathematics and Science Area Concentration, Teaching Program (an undergraduate major) is designed to prepare candidates to earn a Bachelor of Science degree and to meet the MSDE requirements for dual certification in mathematics and science grades 4-9. The program courses are closely aligned with standards set by the State of Maryland and the Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE).
Students take a set of mathematics and science courses. The mathematics courses are particularly geared toward middle school teacher candidates. They include courses in mathematical problem solving, numbers and operations, algebra and geometry, and statistics and probability. The science component includes courses in physics, chemistry, biology, and atmospheric and geological sciences. All candidates also take education courses in middle-level philosophy and pedagogy, equity and diversity, science and mathematics teaching methods, and adolescent development.
For information on undergraduate admission to the University, please click here.
Once admitted to the University, students in the College of Education must meet the Selective Admissions requirements in order to proceed into the Professional portion of the Middle School Mathematics and Science Education program. The Selective Admissions requirements for the Middle School Mathematics and Science Education program are as follows:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 credits
- Cumulative UMD GPA of 2.75 or higher; 3.0 GPA is recommended for best consideration
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental English requirement with a “C-” or better
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental Math requirement with a “C-” or better
- Minimum passing scores on a Basic Skills Tests (see advisor for details)
- Satisfactory completion of TLPL 251 (or approved substitute/s) with a “B-” or better
- Satisfactory completion of the following courses with a 2.7 GPA:
- MATH 212 – Elements of Mathematics
- MATH 213 – Elements of Geometry
- 4-Credit CORE Physical Science with Lab course (PL)
- 4-Credit CORE Biological Science with Lab course (LL)
- A resume that shows prior experience in the education field with youth in the age range you intend to teach
- A written goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from a faculty member or instructor)
- Satisfactory rating on the College of Education Foundational Competencies/Model Code of Ethics for Educators (FC/MCEE)