UMD Gateway in blossoms

Student Services

Undergraduate Forms and Policies

Effective February 16, 2022, every student will receive university email communications at their university-provided email account. For details, read this announcement from the Division of Information Technology.


The forms and policies below will assist you through your undergraduate program and will provide important information and knowledge to fulfill your degree requirements.

The College of Education Undergraduate COE UG Handbook has been created by the Office of Student Services as the main guide for all undergraduate students in the College.

Undergraduate Forms

Applying for Graduation | Criminal History Disclosure Form | Exception to Policy Form |  Foundational Competencies/MCEEOrientation Documentation/Forms | Permission to Enroll At Another Institution Form (Online) 

Undergraduate Information and Policies

Academic ClemencyAcademic Probation/DismissalAttendanceCancellation of RegistrationGeneral Education Program  | Classification of StudentsDouble DegreeDouble MajorDropping a CourseFundamental Studies BlockHold FileIncompletesPass/FailPlus-Minus Grading Policy | Professional ApplicationRepeat PolicySchedule Adjustment PeriodStamp/Electronic Stamp | Study Abroad | Testudo | Virtual Electronic Network University Scheduler (VENUS) | Waitlist

Applying for Graduation
Students intending to graduate must submit a Graduation Candidate Application prior to the last day of the Schedule Adjustment Period of the semester of expected graduation. 

Criminal History Disclosure Form


Criminal History Disclosure Form

is required for all students in the College of Education who are entering a field placement (Ex: TLPL 251, EDHD 220, Professional Program Application, Student Teaching Yearlong Internship, etc.). This form must be notarized and submitted as the original copy to the Office of Student Services, 1204 Benjamin. 

The disclosure form must be on file in Room 1204 Benjamin before beginning any placement in the local schools. Questions regarding the Criminal History Disclosure Form should be directed to the Office of Student Services (

NOTE: No student will be permitted to remain in a class/school with a required field component unless a valid Criminal History Disclosure Form is on file.

Back to top 

Exception to Policy Form
Students requesting an exception to University or College policy must complete an online Exception to Policy form. Once the form is submitted, students' Academic Advisor will follow-up with via email regarding a decision. Please allow 24-48 business hours for a reply.  For any questions regarding these requests, please email

Foundational Competencies/MCEE

Students are required to complete the FC/MCEE assessment at various points during their degree program (Orientation, Change of Major, Admission to the Professional Teacher Education program). Please retain a copy for your records.

Orientation Documentation & Forms

All incoming Education majors must read the 

COE UG Handbook

 and the 

Foundational Competencies/MCEEs

 . Be sure to complete the FC/MCEE Self Assessment and ensure you keep a copy of the PDF Response Summary for your records.

Permission to Enroll At Another Institution Form (Online)

To complete a program requirement at another institution, current students must complete a Permission to Enroll Online Form and have it approved by their Advisor and their College before enrolling in a course at another institution.

Back to top

Undergraduate Academic Clemency

Degree-seeking undergraduate students who have been away from the University for at least 5 years, and return to pursue their initial baccalaureate degree are eligible to use academic clemency for courses taken previously at the University of Maryland. Under clemency, up to 16 credits of D+, D, D- and F grades may be removed from the calculation of the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA). Students must request academic clemency in their first semester of registration upon re-enrollment.  

NOTE: While the grades and credits are removed from the calculation of the student's grade point average, the grades and credits are NOT removed from the student's transcript. Like a birth certificate, UMD transcripts are official state documents and cannot be altered.  Please be aware that most graduate and professional schools do not honor the clemency notation and will recompute applicant grade point averages. 

Back to top

Academic Probation/Dismissal
Please consult the UMD Undergraduate Catalogue for more specific details. 


Consult the Undergraduate Attendance and Assessment/Examinations portion of the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific information. 

Back to top

Cancellation of Registration
If you wish to cancel your registration, you must do so before the first day of classes. Failure to do so may result in a financial obligation to the University - even if you never attend the course.

Please carefully consult the Schedule Adjustment Policy for the refund policies and deadlines.

Back to top

General Education Program 
The campus-wide general education program at UMD is called General Education. General Education makes up about one-third of your undergraduate courses and offers one of the best opportunities you will have to explore different fields of study. For detailed information on General Education, please refer to General Education Requirements in the UMD Undergraduate Catalog.

Back to top

Classification of Students
Undergraduate student classification levels are as follows:

Freshman 1-29 semester hours
Sophomore 30-59 semester hours
Junior 60-89 semester hours
Senior 90+ semester hours
Back to top

Double Degree
A student who wishes to declare a double degree must satisfactorily complete the regularly prescribed requirements of both degree programs and a minimum of 150 credits. At least 18 of the credits applied to the second degree must be in course work not applied to the requirements for the primary degree program. As early as possible, but in no case later than one full academic year before the expected date of graduation, the student must file with the department or programs involved, as well as with the appropriate deans, formal programs showing the courses to be offered to meet the major, supporting area, college, and general education programs. If two colleges are involved in the double degree program, the student must designate which college will be responsible for the maintenance of records and certification of general education requirements. Final approval of a double degree program must be obtained from each of the appropriate departments and college(s). 

Back to top 

Double Major
A student who wishes to declare a double major must satisfactorily complete the regularly prescribed requirements of both major programs and a minimum of 120 credits. Students must obtain written permission in advance from the appropriate departments or programs and colleges. Courses taken for one major may be counted as appropriate as part of the degree requirements for the general education programs. If two colleges are involved in the double major program, the student must designate which college will be responsible for the maintenance of records and certification of general education requirements.

NOTE: All Secondary Education majors are required to have an academic content major. Fully articulated dual major programs have been developed between various academic disciplines in the Arts and Sciences (e.g., Art, English, Geography, Government, History, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, World Languages) and Education. With careful advising, freshmen are able to complete the university's General Education requirements along with the academic major and Education major within eight semesters. 

Back to top 

Dropping a Course
The Schedule Adjustment Period is the first ten business days of classes during the Fall or Spring semester. A similar period of time is designated for Summer and Winter Terms (visit OES for more information). Check the corresponding Academic Deadlines for exact dates. Visit Testudo for procedures for dropping a course.

Fundamental Studies Block

The College of Education strictly enforces the English and Math Fundamental Studies blocks since ENGL 101 and the Mathematics Fundamental Study requirements are part of the Gateway Requirements for admission to teacher education.

Back to top 

Hold File

Consult the Office of the Registrar for further information.

Back to top 

Incomplete grades

Policies on Incomplete grades can be found in the undergraduate catalog.

Back to top 

Pass/Fail Policy

The College will not give students permission to take courses required for the Major or for General Education on a Pass/Fail basis.

Back to top 

Plus-Minus Grading Policy
Please review the Undergraduate Catalog Marking System policy.

Professional Application & Requirements

The application for the Professional Teacher Education program is electronic. The deadline for all admission applications is May 1st or December 1st by 11:59pm depending on the program. 

Consult with your Advisor for the appropriate application deadline and follow the application requirements and instructions

Repeat Policy
There is a limit to the number of times a student may repeat a course.

Back to top

Schedule Adjustment Period

During the Schedule Adjustment period, students can make changes to their schedule. The Schedule Adjustment Period is the first ten business days of classes during the Fall or Spring semester. 

For Summer and Winter terms be sure to connect with the Office of Extended Studies for session deadlines.

Check the corresponding Academic Deadlines for specific dates. Visit the Schedule of Classes and Testudo to adjust your schedule.

Back to top

Stamp/Electronic Stamp
Electronic stamps are required for before being eligible to register for courses.

Back to top

Study Abroad

The goal of the University of Maryland Education Abroad Office is to enable students to incorporate a summer, winter, semester, or year abroad into their degree program at Maryland. Study abroad increases awareness of other cultures and languages while providing a comparative international perspective. Students can study in London, Brazil, Vietnam - almost any place in the world! The Education Abroad Office provides information and advisement about all of these opportunities.

Given the scheduling and sequencing requirements associated with the professional education course work, students are advised to explore Study Abroad opportunities early in their college career (i.e., Freshman or Sophomore years). If considering Study Abroad, please consult an Education Abroad Advisor and your College of Education Advisor.

Back to top

Testudo is UMD's interactive student resources website. Through Testudo you are able to register for classes, request transcripts, pay your bill, change your address, view the university catalog or schedule of classes, check your financial aid, and take advantage of MANY other online services. 

Back to top

Virtual Electronic Network University Scheduler (VENUS)

Students can use VENUS to help with course planning. VENUS assembles schedules by considering all the possible combinations that can be produced with the courses that a student specifies.

Back to top


When a course reaches maximum enrollment, students are no longer allowed to register for this course. Instead, you may place yourself on the waitlist through Testudo. As students drop the course, waitlisted students are added to the course roster.

During the Schedule Adjustment Period (first 10 days of class), waitlisted students must check in daily (via Testudo). Students who do not check in will be removed from the waitlist. Students moved from the waitlist into the course must confirm registration into the course on the same day notification was received. If confirmation is not received, then you may be dropped from the course altogether. Placing yourself on a course waitlist does not guarantee enrollment/registration. Other alternative courses should be picked as a back-up. If you have any questions, please consult with your Advisor.

Please consult the Office of the Registrar for further information.

Back to top