Graduate Studies Forms

Listed below are forms that you may use as you advance through your program as a graduate student in the College of Education.

The forms listed below are published by the College of Education.  For Graduate School forms visit their webpage.

Forms Published by the College of Education:
Advisor Change Form | Deans Representative Role Form | Doctoral Approved Program Form | Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Form |  Exit Survey, College of Education | EDMS Course Equivalency |  Comprehensive Examination ApplicationFoundational Competencies Policy/MCEE  | Graduate Studies Registration/Adjustment Petition  | Oral Announcement | Provisional Removal | Seminar Paper Title Page Form | Withdrawal Procedures | Retroactive Withdrawal Procedures | Graduate School Forms

Advisor Change Form

Advisor Change form

Deans Representative Role Form

Dean's Representative Role 

Doctoral Approved Program Form
Doctoral students must file an approved Doctoral Program form with the College Office prior to completion of the 21st postmasters credit hour. Students failing to do so will not be permitted to register.

Doctoral Approval Sheet
Back to Top

Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Form 

Dissertation Proposal Form is signed by a minimum of three committee members approving the proposed dissertation study. The advisor and the student should discuss who should serve as members of the committee. It is not necessary to seek official approval (by the Department, College or Graduate School) of the committee members prior to the proposal meeting. (However, please note that another similar committee form, the Nomination of the Dissertation Committee Form, is required prior to the FINAL oral defense that must have official approval by the Department, College, and Graduate School.) 

Note: Students undertaking research using human subjects will need to seek and obtain approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to starting their research.  What is an IRB?

Back to Top

Exit Survey, College of Education

The College of Education will request graduates to file an exit survey.  In the semester of graduation, graduates will receive, by e-mail, instructions, and passwords in order to file the survey on-line. This survey information is used to determine how education programs can be improved. Your participation in the survey is important to the College as it enables us to evaluate our strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, this survey gives you the opportunity to assess your professional competence and to evaluate the University of Maryland's performance in preparing this important endeavor. 

Back to Top

EDMS Course Equivalency Form

A EDMS Course Equivalency Form is used to request the review of previous coursework that may be equivalent to the required EDMS research course(s). Support documentation is required in addition to the form and must be reviewed by the Program of Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation (EDMS). EDMS coursework is only waived based on the approval of an equivalency review by the EDMS faculty. Advisors and programs have the right to deny a request for an equivalency review.
Back to Top

Comprehensive Examination Application     

Students should check with their program/department for applications, processes, and deadlines.

Back to Top

Foundational Compentencies Policy/MCEE
All graduate students who are in an approved program leading to initial teacher certification or advanced certification, or in professional preparation programs, are expected to demonstrate that they are prepared to work with children and youth in educational settings, and part of this assessment is through the FC/MCEE Self-Evaluation Form.  This preparation results from the combination of successful completion of university coursework and field/internship experiences and the demonstration of important human characteristics and dispositions that all educators should possess. For a complete description of the policy and standards, please review the College's Foundational Competencies. 

Back to Top

Graduate Studies Registration/Adjustment Petition Form

Registration/Adjustment Petition Form is used during the current semester to request permission to register past the deadline, or to change your registration schedule.

Requests for a late registration or adjustment of coursework for a previous semester must receive the approval of the Graduate School. To request late registration or registration changes for a previous semester please complete and submit the "Petition for Waiver of Regulation" .

To withdraw from all classes please see section on “Withdrawal Procedures – Graduate Students”.

Back to Top

Oral Announcement

This  Oral Announcement form is used to announce the date and meeting place of a doctoral student's final oral defense of the dissertation. This form is submitted to the program to which the student is admitted. Departments are responsible for publicizing the defense date among the faculty and students in the Department.   
Back to Top

Provisional Removal Form 

Provisional Removal Formis in a memorandum format that advisors may use in order to remove a provisional admission/enrollment condition for a student once the condition has been met. Advisors may also create their own memorandum for removal of a condition if they choose.
Back to Top

Seminar Paper Title Format

The Seminar Paper Title Page Form must be submitted by all graduating Master of Education and Master of Arts, non-thesis College of Education students. Students must complete this form and return it to their Academic Advisor, Directing Seminar Paper professor or their Department Coordinator of Graduate Studies to receive the remaining required signatures. 

Back to Top

Withdrawal Procedures

Graduate students may request a withdrawal from all classes any time between the first and last day of classes for the semester. 

To withdraw, please follow the procedures provided online by the Office of the Registrar and submit the “Degree-Seeking Graduate Student Withdrawal Form”.   Students in off-campus programs must also provide a copy of the withdrawal form to the College of Education via email at

Refunds for withdrawing from all classes is determined by the date that the student submits the withdrawal request.  Please refer to the “Refund Schedule” in the “Academic Deadlines” to determine the percentage of tuition that may be refundable.

Back to Top

Retroactive Withdrawal Procedures

Graduate students may request a withdrawal from all classes any time between the first and last day of classes for the semester.  In exceptional cases, a retroactive withdrawal may be requested. 

A withdrawal request form should be filed, prior to the retroactive withdrawal request.  Please refer to the “Refund Schedule” published in the “Academic Deadlines”.

To request a retroactive withdraw, please follow the procedures provided online by clicking Office of the Registrar and submit the “Application for Retroactive Withdrawal Form”.   Students in off-campus programs must also provide a copy of the retroactive withdrawal form to the College of Education via email at

Forms Published by the GRADUATE SCHOOL

Back to Top

Important Deadlines for Graduating Students 
Steps Toward Graduation