The TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) post-baccalaureate certificate program includes four courses and is designed for in-service educators, students studying language, and others. Enhance your expertise in teaching English learners and transform your career while fulfilling your district's continuing education credit requirements!
In this program, students will complete four online courses. Each condensed course is delivered entirely online—no commuting or parking required. Take courses in the comfort of your home, school, or office. Courses are offered during the Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters.
Successful completion of this TESOL certificate will also equip current Maryland educators to pass the Praxis exam and add the ESOL endorsement to an existing teaching certificate. Course credits earned through this certificate program can be counted in the future toward an M.Ed. in TESOL.
Apply today! **See additional sections below for application deadlines and detailed instructions on how to apply, or download the flyer below.
- Applicants must have an earned Bachelor's undergraduate degree to be eligible for program application
- Completed application and application fee
- Statement of purpose
- Focus on why you want to be in this specific program (i.e., what the program will offer you), why you would be a good candidate for the program (i.e., what you would offer the program), and what your ultimate goals are as it pertains to the TESOL field.
- Current resume
- Transcripts for all universities attended
- Required for each institution attended (9 credits or more). Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for admission purposes only; official transcripts must be provided upon acceptance to the program.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- You will need to provide the name and email address of each person who will write a letter of recommendation for you.
- Status: U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident (including pending U.S. Permanent Resident)
Applicants who did not complete a degree in the United States should carefully review the university’s requirements on demonstrating English Language Proficiency: https://gradschool.umd.edu/admissions/english-language-proficiency-requirements. If you need to fulfill the requirement by taking TOEFL, Pearson’s PTE, or the IELTS Exam, this must be done before May 1st. Note: you must earn the minimum scores for Full Enrollment in order to be accepted into this particular program; we cannot accept Admissions to the English Bridge Program as that is for full-time, on-campus students only (and this is an online cohort program).
Course Cost: (FALL 2022/SPRING 2023)
- $2,401.26*/comprised of four courses(total $9,605.04)
*cost per credit increases roughly 4% per year and is dictated by the Graduate School
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Students may apply to Fall, Spring, Summer I or Summer II sessions. For questions please email the program director, Dr. Sarah C. K. Moore, at email@example.com.
- January 13, 2023 (for Spring 2023) Spring 1 session 2/3-3/16: TLPL 665, TESOL Methods)
- Summer I 2023 deadline: May 16, 2023
- Summer II 2023 deadline: June 26, 2023
- Fall 2023 deadline: August 10, 2023
**The deadline for all completed applications are listed below: **
- Spring 2022 domestic: January 14, 2022
- Summer I 2022 domestic: May 18, 2022
- Summer II 2022 domestic: June 24, 2022
- Fall 2022 domestic: August 16, 2022
- Spring 2023 domestic: January 13, 2023 (Spring 1 session 2/3-3/16: TLPL 665, TESOL Methods)
Apply at gradapply.umd.edu
Please refer to the Guide to Applying for instructions on how to apply for graduate admission. If you have questions or concerns, we ask you to first review our list of Frequently Asked Questions. International applicants should visit the International admissions webpage for additional information.
If you have any questions about the application itself, contact Judy Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Information Sessions!
Tuesday, June 7, 3:00-3:30
Thursday, July 14, 3:00-3:30
Wednesday, August 3, 3:00-3:30
UMD's Online TESOL Certificate Program Info Sessions
Or use you phone, with one tap mobile: +19294362866,,98263047729# US (New York)
Or dial by your location: +1 301 715 8592 US Meeting ID: 982 6304 7729
Each condensed course is entirely online—no commuting or parking. Take courses in the comfort of your home, local library, or favorite coffee shopt. Anytime, anywhere!