The Elementary Education Undergraduate Program is a professional preparation program, designed to be completed in 4 years. Graduates are eligible for elementary teaching certification in the state of Maryland. The Program equips students to meet the challenges of teaching in the 21st century by preparing them to meet the needs of a diverse student body.
- have in-depth knowledge of the subject matter they teach
- can effectively plan classroom based instruction
- can accurately assess and analyze student learning, make appropriate adjustments to instruction, monitor student learning, and have a positive effect on learning for all students
- are able to work with students, families, and communities in ways that reflect the dispositions expected of professional educators as delineated in professional, state, and institutional standards
For admission information to the Univeristy, please visit undergraduate admissions.
Once admitted to the University, students in the College of Education must meet the Selective Admissions requirements in order to proceed into the Professional portion of the Elementary Education program. The Selective Admissions requirements for the Elementary Education program are as follows
- Completion of a minimum of 45 credits
- Cumulative UMD GPA of 2.75 or higher; 3.0 GPA is recommended for best consideration
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental English requirement with a “C-” or better
- Completion of lower-level Fundamental Math requirement with a “C-” or better
- Minimum passing scores on a Basic Skills Tests (see advisor for details)
- Satisfactory completion of TLPL 251 with a “B-” or better
- Satisfactory completion of the following courses with a 2.7 GPA
- MATH 212 – Elements of Mathematics
- MATH 213 – Elements of Geometry
- 4-Credit CORE Physical Science with Lab course
- 4-Credit CORE Biological Science with Lab course
- A resume that shows prior experience in the education field with youth in the age range you intend to teach
- A written goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from a faculty member or instructor)
- Satisfactory rating on the College of Education Foundational Competencies/Model Code of Ethics for Educators (FC/MCEE)
STEP ONE: Apply for undergraduate admission to the University.
Once admitted to the University, proceed to Step Two after connecting with a UMD COE Academic Advisor.
STEP TWO: Please submit your application to the Professional Teacher Education Program online.