Welcome College of Education Students!
We are so excited to be your College of Education peer advisors for the 2022-2023 academic year at the University of Maryland, College Park. It is lovely to see all of you back on campus this year, and we know that your presence is a meaningful contribution to our close-knit COE community.
The Peer Advisors are working hard to create opportunities where students can engage with their peers in the college now that we are back on campus. To achieve this goal, we will organize events in order for education majors to connect here on campus, and hold office hours in the Student Services office of the College of Education to assist with any questions about the College of Education and student life! The Peer Advisors each have 5 hours of drop-in office hours a week, and all questions are welcome!
Throughout the year, please contact us with questions, ideas, and feedback! You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to quickly connect with a Peer Advisor.
COE Peer Advisors
Adelaide Sudbrink, Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education
Olivia Artale, Human Development
Kayla Kellner, Human Development
Alyssa Leventhal, Special Education
Sophia Tarpinian, Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education
Alyssa Orlando, Special Education
Shayna Becker, Human Development
Our Undergraduate Peer Advisors are the face of our College to prospective students and their families, new incoming students and current UMD students. The College of Education Peer Advisor Program is run through the Office of Student Services and is a yearlong leadership internship offering undergraduate students the opportunity to become student leaders within the College and University and earn experience working with the advising department. During the first semester, students will participate in a 3-credit course designed to establish leadership skills, train Peer Advisors on the College’s undergraduate programs and policies, and prepare students to participate actively and knowledgeably at recruitment events, such as the annual Fall Open House, Admitted Student Open Houses and the First Look Fair, College of Education Orientation and paraprofessional activities within the College. The peer advisors are given the opportunity to gain experience working to help advise fellow peers, giving advice about programs and opportunities.
In the Spring semester, students will participate in a 3-credit course designed to reinforce skills, concepts and practice gained in the first semester through active involvement in Open Houses, Workshops, Recruitment Events, Office Hours, the COE Newsletter and capstone projects.
The College of Education Peer Advisor Program is an invitation-only program that requires students to have at least a 3.4 GPA. Invitations will be sent out in Spring 2023 to those that meet this criteria.
- Major Exploration Workshops: Peer Advisors assist with the Office of Student Services in the College of Education to host MEWs, or Major Exploration Workshops, for individuals interested in switching their Major within the College of Education. There are multiple MEWs throughout the semester, and they are hosted via Zoom. The link to sign up for a workshop is: www.go.umd.edu/COEMEW
- Scavenger Hunt: Thank you to everyone who came out to our Scavenger Hunt on Wednesday October 20th after the Ice Cream Social! This event was a great opportunity for students to connect with the peer advisors and other students within the College of Education.
- Cookie Decorating Event: Thank you for everyone who joined us on Wednesday, February 9th for our cookie decorating event. This was a great opportunity to enjoy a sweet treat while connecting with other College of Education undergraduate students.
- Game Night: Thank you for coming out on Wednesday, March 16th from 5-6pm for a fun-filled night with members from the College of Education undergraduate community.
- Professional Program Application Preparation: We enjoyed answering student questions and assisting them with the professional program application process at our application preparation workshop. Thanks to those of you who joined!
- Professional Clothing Drive: We hosted a professional clothing drive on April 13th. Thank you to all of the members of the COE community who donated items. Students enjoyed coming out and giving their wardrobe a professional upgrade to prepare for jobs and internships!
- Thank a Teacher Event: We showed our appreciation for teachers at this crafting event on Wednesday, April 27th.
Thank you to everyone who joined us at our events during the 2021-2022 academic year! We look forward to hosting more events in the 2022-2023 academic year.
Meet Your Peer Advisors!
Alyssa Leventhal (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Monday 9-12:45 and Tuesday 2:45-4
Alyssa is a Junior Special Education Major (Track 2) and Human Development Minor from Brookeville, Maryland. Her favorite spot on campus is McKeldin Mall because she loves to spend time doing work and sitting with friends. A fun fact about Alyssa is that she has gone to Camp Ramah, a sleepaway camp in Massachusetts, for 11 summers in where she spent 8 years as a camper and 3 years as a counselor.
Sophia Tarpinian (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Monday 11-4
Sophia is a Junior Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education Major from Tenafly, New Jersey . Her favorite spot on campus is McKeldin Mall. A fun fact about Sophia is that her favorite ice cream flavor is cookies and cream!
Olivia Artale (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Monday 12:30-1:30, Thursday 11:00-12:15, and Friday 10:15-1:00
Olivia is a Junior Human Development Major and Leadership Studies Minor from Flemington, New Jersey. Her favorite spot on campus is Tawes Plaza because that's where she spends all of her time in between classes! A fun fact about Olivia is that she loves to cook and is always looking for new recipes and ideas.
Kayla Kellner (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Monday 9-10:15, Wednesday 9-9:45, Thursday 2-4, and Friday 9-10
Kayla is a Junior Human Development and Psychology Double Major. Her favorite spot on campus is STAMP Union. A fun fact about Kayla is that she has 5 cats!
Alyssa Orlando (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Monday 11:30-12:30, Tuesday 12:30-1:30, and Friday 1-3
Alyssa is a Junior Special Education Major (Track 2). Her favorite spot on campus is Tawes Plaza because she loves to sit outside and do work, especially in the Fall! A fun fact about Alyssa is that her mom went to the University of Maryland and graduated in the College of Education!
Adelaide Sudbrink (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Tuesday 9-12, Wednesday 11:30-12:30, and Thursday 10-11
Adelaide is a Sophomore Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education Major and Public Leadership Minor from Bel Air, Maryland. Her favorite spot on campus is Mckeldin 4th floor reading room. A fun fact about Adelaide is that she has a Basset Hound mix named Ruby Pickles!
Shayna Becker (she/her)
Fall 2022 Office Hours: Monday 12:30-1:50, Tuesday 2:10-4:30, and Wednesday 12:30-1:50
Shayna is a Sophomore Human Development Major and Pre-law and Society Minor from Los Angeles, California. Her favorite spot on campus is McKeldin patio on the second floor. A fun fact about Shayna is that she learned how to use chopsticks at two-year-old!
To speak with your College of Education Peer Advisors, please email email@example.com, or stop by the Office of Student Services (Benjamin Building 1204) during one of the Peer Advisor’s office hours.